- A supernatural and often malevolent being prevalent in religion, occultism, literature, fiction, mythology and folklore.
- In Ancient Near Eastern religions as well as in the Abrahamic traditions, including ancient and medieval Christian demonology, a demon is considered a harmful spiritual entity, below the heavenly planes which may cause demonic possession, calling for an exorcism.
- In Western occultism and Renaissance magic, which grew out of an amalgamation of Greco-Roman magic, Jewish Aggadah and Christian demonology, a demon is believed to be a spiritual entity that may be conjured and controlled.
- Hindu beliefs include numerous varieties of spirits that might be classified as demons, including
- Vetalas – A spirits inhabiting cadavers and charnel grounds. These corpses may be used as vehicles for movement (as they no longer decay while so inhabited); but a vetala may also leave the body at will.
- Bhutas -A supernatural creature, usually the ghost of a deceased person, in the popular culture, literature and some ancient texts of the Indian sub-continent
- Pishachas – A flesh-eating demon
- Rakshasas/Asuras – Any supernatural spirit, either good or bad
Scary Monsters ~ Demons
November 3, 2017